Improve Access to Options
SGS Districts increase access to school choice options and help families identify and attend their best-fit school.
Provide Access to Schools that Families Want and Need
District leaders establish enrollment policies and practices that provide students access to all the district’s school options. Leaders provide school choice information that helps parents understand their options.
Equitable Enrollment Policies
- District leaders develop Equitable Enrollment Policies that allow students to transfer or opt-into a school of their choice. Policies should safeguard historically underserved populations by ensuring all schools share responsibility for their success.
- District leaders maintain and improve a transportation system that allows students to access programs and schools outside of their zoned boundary.
School Choice Information
- District leaders maintain and improve the systems, tools, and supports to help families choose high-quality, best fit schools.
- District leaders publish School Choice Information, which is clear and accessible to parents and families.
- As public health allows, district staff host in-person or virtual opportunities for parents and families to learn about school options, such as school expos.
Equitable Enrollment Processes
- District leaders implement a unified and transparent enrollment System that allows all students to access all district options through one application, one timeline, one lottery, and one assignment.
- District leaders implement equitable enrollment practices, including:
- offering a coordinated, transparent, and family-friendly application process;
- providing students open access to all district options; and
- giving students who are zoned to low-performing schools preferred access to high-performing schools.